The Tourism Advisor is a seasonal full-time out-of-scope position and is focused on managing the local Tourism Centre by developing and promoting local opportunities to attract visitors and enhance the cultural experiences of residents. In addition to this, the Advisor will assist local and outside visitors with their travel and service needs.
The Town of Kindersley is a gateway community and the first large centre east of the Alberta border, and last leaving Saskatchewan. Our municipality is located in West Central Saskatchewan and has a population of over 5,000.
The Tourism Advisor position is of great value to our organization as they are the ambassadors who ensure our community is represented in a positive and welcoming manner for all visitors, and that our locals and visitors alike are encouraged to partake in the community’s attractions and services leading to an enjoyable summer season. CLICK HERE for more details.
- Highly customer focused
- Pleasant disposition
- Energetic and outgoing
- Engaging and enthusiastic
- High degree of creativity and problem-solving skills
- Good communication – the ability to communicate verbally and in writing, with all levels of the organization and the public
- Able to work efficiently as a part of a team as well as independently
- Providing consultation – understanding of the region and an interest in learning more about the region
- Experience or interest in the tourism sector is an asset
- Accountability and dependability
- Ethics and integrity
- A driver’s license is preferred but not essential
- Computer skills in Microsoft programs (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email, etc)
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to work with senior members of the administrative team, and capable of fostering and maintaining effective working relationships
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong public relations skills
- Dedicated to ongoing learning and professional development
- Able to work flexible office hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Customer Service – assisting clients with restaurant, activity and lodging suggestions; developing maps for tourists, offering information on road and weather conditions, and assist with campground bookings.
- Development of Travel and Activity Packages – researching and connecting with local businesses to develop and maintain up to date information on visitor experience opportunities. Packages are designed to offer locals and visitors with day trips and experiences within the locality and region.
- Major Local Events – assist in planning and facilitating any large community events (i.e. Canada Day, Volunteer Appreciation Day, Paint Nights, etc.) that attract visitors and promote the community.
- Partnerships – work in partnership with the Recreations Manager, Chamber of Commerce, Kindersley & District Plains Museum, and any other cultural or heritage community groups to respond to local visitors needs and enhance their overall experiences.
- Work closely with Tourism Saskatchewan to promote local, regional, and provincial attractions and destinations, and to help them deliver their program and services.
- Required to sit at desk or stand at counter for long periods of time
- Intermittently twist and reach office equipment, write and use keyboard
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs
- Getting in and out of vehicles
If you are required to do a work term for your post-secondary education (i.e. Tourism and Hospitality, Recreations Programming, or Visual Communications, etc.) please bring this to our attention. We would be happy to assist you in earning these credits.
Term of Employment:
This position is a seasonal full-time out-of-scope position. The season includes the months May through August. The Tourism Centre will officially open on May 7. The Tourism Centre is open 7 days a week, requiring Tourism Advisors to work regular, weekend, or holiday shifts.
Please submit a detailed resume and cover letter to:
Town of Kindersley – Tourism Advisor Application
Box 1269, Kindersley, SK SOL 1S0
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: (306) 463-4577
We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Date Updated: March 29, 2019 - 10:13 AM