Boundary Alteration

Municipal boundary alteration is the process of expanding the boundaries of a municipality into adjacent areas not already part of the municipality. It is often referred to as annexation.

Boundary alteration can occur in three different ways:

  1. The Province can initiate it
  2. The urban municipality can begin the process
  3. Citizen petitions can be used to have land annexed

The Town of Kindersley's Official Community Plan (OCP) identifies that the Town has reached its boundaries in almost all areas, and in order for future urban development to continue, boundary alteration needs to occur. All areas proposed for boundary alteration are areas where there is either active development or proposed development.

Both Councils of the Town of Kindersley and Rural Municipality (RM) of Kindersley have agreed that a new District Community Plan is needed and have been working together on this.

Developments within the RM of Kindersley are subject to the District Planning Commission.

Boundary alteration is a common municipal practice and the Province of Saskatchewan has outlined specific guidelines for municipalities to follow. These new guidelines are supported by both the Saskatchewan Urban Municipalities Association (SUMA) and Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities (SARM).


For more information about annexation, municipal status and boundary changes, view the Government of Saskatchewan website .